Studio Trigger will be producing a 10-episode anime series set in the Cyberpunk 2077 universe, game developer CD Projekt Red revealed. The anime is titled Cyberpunk: Edgerunners and will premiere on Netflix in 2022.
In the announcement video, Japan-based Cyberpunk 2077 producer Saya Elder said that Cyberpunk: Edgerunners will be a “great gateway for newcomers”. “The stage is still Night City, but everything else is totally new,” she shared.
Also in the announcement video was Studio Trigger’s CEO Masahiko Otsuka, accompanied by Hiroyuki Imaishi and Yoh Yoshinari. Commenting on the involvement of Imaishi and Yoshinari, who had previously worked on titles like Kill la Kill and Little Witch Academia together, Otsuka said, “This is Trigger’s 10th anniversary, so we have prepared the ultimate team of Imaishi and Yoshinari as Director and Character Designer to bring an outstanding result.”
The Cyberpunk 2077 website describes the series as:
CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he chooses to stay alive by becoming an edgerunner—a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk.
The production staff includes:
- Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare) – Director
- Masahiko Otsuka (Gurren Lagann, Promare) – Assistant Director
- Hiromi Wakabayashi (Kill la Kill) – Creative Director
- Yoh Yoshinari (Little Witch Academia, BNA: Brand New Animal) – Character Designer
- Yuto Kaneko (Little Witch Academia) – Character Designer
- Yoshiki Usa (SSSS.GRIDMAN, Promare) – Screenplay
- Masahiko Otsuka (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare) – Screenplay
- Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series) – Soundtrack
Source: press release, CD Projekt Red