A January 9 Japanese premiere date has been announced for The Unwanted Undead Adventurer anime adaptation. A second main trailer and a key visual were released as well.
The Unwanted Undead Adventurer is based on the Overlap Novels fantasy light novel series written by Yuu Okano and illustrated by Jaian, which began publication in 2017 and has 12 volumes as of May 2023. J Novel Club describes the plot as:
Rentt Faina, a twenty-five-year-old adventurer, has been hacking away at monsters for a decade. However, without much talent for the job, Rentt finds himself stuck hunting Slimes and Goblins for meager amounts of coin every day. Little does he know, all this is about to change when he comes across a seemingly undiscovered path in the Labyrinth of the Moon’s Reflection. What awaits him at the end of the path, however, is neither treasure nor riches, but a legendary dragon that wastes no time swallowing him whole! Waking up a short time later, Rentt finds himself not quite dead, but not very alive either— He is nothing more than a pile of bones! Armed with nothing but his trusty sword, tool belt, and ghoulish new looks, Rentt sets off on his quest as a newly reborn Skeleton to achieve Existential Evolution, hoping to one day return to civilization with a more human form. Will Rentt succeed, or will the labyrinth consume him for the rest of his un-death…?
A manga adaptation by Haiji Nakasone started serialization in 2017.
• Director: Noriaki Akitaya (Ayakashi Triangle)
• Series composer: Yukie Sugawara (Overlord IV) as series composer
• Character designer: Takao Sano (The Honor Student at Magic High School co-character designer)
• Animation production: CONNECT
• Ryouta Suzuki as Rentt Faina
• Mikako Komatsu as Lorraine Vivie
• Ikumi Hasegawa as Sheila Ibarss
• Sayumi Suzushiro as Rina Rupaage