In case there weren’t enough anime premieres for Anime NYC already, it has now been announced that the first two episodes of dark fantasy anime Ishura will have their world premiere at the upcoming event. The screening will take place on November 18 from 11 AM to 12 PM at Panel Room 2.
Other premieres announced so far for Anime NYC, which runs from November 17 to 19 at Javits Convention Center, include Chained Soldier, Case Closed (Detective Conan): The Scarlet Bullet, High Card Season 2 , and The Seven Deadly Sins: Four Knights of the Apocalypse.
Ishura is based on the KADOKAWA-published light novel series written by Keiso and illustrated by Kureta, which centers around a number of mighty warriors in a post-Demon King setting. The show’s Japanese broadcast is set to begin in January 2024. Hulu will stream the show in the States, while Disney will stream it internationally.
Yen Press describes the source material as:
In a world where the Demon King has died, a host of demigods capable of felling him have inherited the world. A master fencer who can figure out how to take out their opponents with a single glance; a lancer so swift they can break the sound barrier; a wyvern rogue who fights with three legendary weapons at once; an all-powerful wizard who can speak thoughts into being; an angelic assassin who deals instant death. Eager to attain the title of “True Hero,” these champions each pursue challenges against formidable foes and spark conflicts among themselves. The battle to determine the mightiest of the mighty begins.
The Ishura light novels began in 2019, two years after the story debuted as a web novel on Kakuyomu (and Shoutseuka ni Narou a few days later) in 2017, and has eight volumes as of October 2023. The series, which is published under the Dengeki no Shinbungei label, was the winner of Kono Light Novel ga Sugai 2021’s tankoubon/novels category and has inspired a manga adaptation by Meguri.
• Chief director Takeo Takahashi (Wasteful Days of High School Girls)
• Director Yuuki Ogawa (Mieruko-chan)
• Assistant director: Takuya Asaoka (Immoral Guild director)
• Assistant director: Fujiaki Asari (Love Flops)
• Assistant director: Takahiro Majima (Mieruko-chan)
• Assistant director: Hironori Aoyagi (Harem in the Labyrinth of Another World)
• Series composer and scriptwriter: Kenta Ihara (The Marginal Service)
• Character designers: Youko Kikuchi (Kuroko’s Basket) and Yuka Takashina (Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha)
• Art directors: Kazuo Ogura (Attack on Titan Final Season) and Yuuki Hatakeyama (The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes)
• Monster designers: Seiji Handa (Yu-Gi-Oh: Arc-V main monster designer) and Hiroya Iijima (Mazinger-Z:Infinity character designer)
• Mechanical designer: Kanta Suzuki (Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars)
• Music composer: Masahiro Tokuda (Platinum End)
• Animation production: Passione
• Yuuki Kaji as Soujirou
• Reina Ueda as Yuno the Distant Talon
• Aoi Yuuki as Kia the World Word
• Mamiko Noto as Elea the Red Tag
• Rie Takahashi as Nihilo the Vortical Stampede
• Sora Amamiya as Curte of the Fair Skies
• Shoutarou Morikubo as Regnejee the Wings of Sunset
• Romi Park as Taren the Punished
• Souichirou Hoshi as Dakai the Magpie
• Kouichi Yamadera as Shalk the Sound Slicer