Film distributor Encore Films has revealed that last year’s The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes romance-drama anime movie will premiere in Singapore and Malaysia on October 5 and 12, respectively.
The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes, an adaptation of the 2019 light novel written by Mei Hachimoku with illustrations from Kukka, debuted in Japan on September 9, 2022. Tomohisa Taguchi (Akudama Drive and Bleach Thousand-Year Blood War Arc director) directed and wrote the film at CLAP with Tomomi Yabuki (Pompo: The Cinephile co-sub character designer) as character designer and chief animation director. Ouji Suzuka and Marie Iitoyo play the lead roles of Kaoru Tono and Anzu Hanashiro, respectively.
Seven Seas Entertainment describes the book’s plot as:
One summer morning before school, Kaoru hears an unsettling rumor—of a mysterious tunnel that can grant any wish to those who enter it, but ages them dramatically in exchange. At first, he writes it off as nothing more than an urban legend, but that very night, he happens upon the selfsame passage: the Urashima Tunnel. As he stands before its gaping maw, a thought occurs to him—if this tunnel truly does have the power to grant any wish, could he use it to bring his younger sister back from her untimely death five years prior?
Yet when he returns to explore the tunnel the next day, he finds he’s been followed by the new girl in class: a total enigma by the name of Anzu. She takes an interest in Kaoru, and they agree to work together to investigate the time-twisting tunnel and uncover its mysteries. Together, they might achieve their deepest desires…but are they prepared for what it may cost them?
The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes light novel is published by Shogakukan under the Gagaga Bunko label. It was the recipient of the Gagaga Award and the Special Judges Award during the 13th Shogakukan Light Novel Awards. The novel has also received a manga adaptation titled The Tunnel to Summer, the Exit of Goodbyes: Ultramarine by Koudon.
The movie’s other staff members include:
• Unit director: Kanji Miyake (Pompo: The Cinéphile assistant director)
• Color designer: Saori Gouda (Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2)
• Art director: Yuuki Hatakeyama (Summer Time Render co-art director)
• Art director: Daiki Kuribayashi (Toilet-bound Hanako-kun)
• Compositing director: Kou Hoshina (Pompo the Cinephile co-photography director)
• Music composer: Harumi Fuuki (The Deer King)
• Animation director: Seiji Tachikawa (Idolish Seven Third Beat!)
• Animation director: Tomomi Yabuki (“Mado wo Akete” music video)
• Animation director: Michio Hasegawa (Shadows House)
• Animation director: Yasuhisa Katou (Pompo the Cinephile)
Source: Encore Films Facebook page