The Gamera: Rebirth anime has received a trailer that shows off its human characters, titular kaiju, monster action, and 3DCG animation. It was also announced that Mamoru Miyano and Saori Hayami will be part of the cast.
Gamera: Rebirth is set to begin streaming on Netflix sometime this year. The six-episode anime is set in the summer of 1989 and will follow three elementary sixth-graders and the son of a USFJ member as Tokyo becomes a battleground between Gamera and various kaiju.
The staff includes:
• Director: Hiroyuki Seshita (Knights of Sidonia)
• Series composers: Kenta Ihara (Handyman Saitou in Another World), Hiroshi Seko (Summer Time Rendering), and Seshita
• Assistant director: Keisuke Ide (Levius) director
• Character designer: Atsushi Tamura (Weathering With You co-character designer)
• Animation director: Kouji (Knights of Sidonia)
• Kaiju designer: Kan Takahama
• Mechanical designer: Takehiko Hoashi (Levius)
•Animation production company: ENGI
Meanwhile, the cast includes Hisako Kanemoto as Boko, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Joe, Aki Toyosaki as Junichi, and Subaru Kimura as Brody.
Gamera made its first appearance in the 1965 tokusatsu film Gamera the Giant Monster. The film was produced by Daiei, which fell under the Kadokawa Group’s management in 2002. Following a name change and “renewal” in 2004 and a 2011 merger with Kadokawa Shoten, Daiei split off from Kadokawa Shoten in 2013 and became Kadokawa Daiei Studio.
ENGI was co-founded by Kadokawa, with Kadokawa being the main shareholder.